Menu
  • Google Search
  • Google Translate
Home Page

Local Committee September 2017

Front Lawn Primary Academy

                                                                                                                                    

Broadmere Avenue, Leigh Park, Havant, Hampshire, PO9 5HX

Telephone: 023 9247 5904

 

 

 

Minutes of the Local Governing Committee Meeting 2.10.17

 

PRESENT:                Barbara Batey (BB)

                                 Kate Couldwell (KC) – Headteacher
Geoff Conway (GC)

Lainey Franks (LF) - Chair   

Malcolm Porter (MP)

Andy Sillence (AS)                         
 

IN ATTENDANCE:    Helen Evison – Clerk

                                 Lucy Hewlett – Observer – until 2.50pm
                                    Sarah Read (SR) - Deputy Head

                                     

APOLOGIES:            Kirsty Ballantyne (KB)
James Munt (JM) – Executive Head

                                                 

The meeting opened at 1.05pm

 

  1.  

WELCOME & APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE   

LF welcomed all and introductions were made. Apologies were received from KB and JM. 

  1.  

DECLARATION OF INTERESTS              

Governors noted the standing declarations:

- HE clerks at other TKAT, SCC and HCC schools.

- GC is a TKAT employee and Chair of the LGBs of TKAT South and Bridgemary School.

- AS is owner of ‘Active Soccer’, after school club provider to the school

 No interest was declared in any specific agenda item.

  1.  

CONSTITUTION & MEMBERSHIP

Governors agreed the appointment of Andy Sillence and Malcolm Porter to two of the LGC-appointed posts leaving one Parent and two LGC-Appointed vacancies.  It was noted that, although he had volunteered, sadly it was not practical for Neil Sherlock, member of staff and governor at Seal, to take half-days off to attend meetings at Front Lawn.

GC advised that he continued to try to source candidates via SGOSS and ‘Inspiring Governance’ and would be willing to travel to meet any potential candidates identified by others.

Although all governors had DBS clearance it was agreed to check whether the school records were up to date and/or new, school-specific DBSs were required.                                                                                             ACTION:HE

  1.  

UNDERTAKING & CODE OF CONDUCT
Governors who had not already done so returned signed copies of the Governor’s Undertaking including the Code of Conduct.

  1.  

OPEN OR CLOSED MEETINGS

It was agreed that meetings would continue to be ‘closed’ with visitors by invitation only.

  1.  

APPOINTMENTS FOR THE EDUCATIONAL YEAR  2017-18    

HE took the chair

  1. Chair LGC - HE advised that no nominations had been received. After discussion Lainey Franks agreed to stand again. There being no further nominations LF was elected as chair until the first LGC meeting of the autumn term 2018.

LF resumed the chair

  1. Vice-Chair LGC - HE advised that no nominations had been received. After discussion Geoff Conway agreed to stand. There being no further nominations GC was elected as Vice-chair until the first LGC meeting of the autumn term 2018.

 

Candidates were sought for the remaining posts.

Q: BB asked what each post would involve.

A: GC explained that governors needed to hold the school to account, monitoring whether they were fulfilling their duties.  Usually this would involve a visit each term.  GC volunteered to provide lists of questions that governors could use as the basis of monitoring visits and a proforma for visit reports. 
                                                                                                          ACTION: GC

Other appointments were agreed as follows:

  1. Looked After Children (LAC), Child Protection & Safeguarding - AS
  2. Governor responsible for liaison with LA in the event of an allegation (Child Protection) against the Executive Headteacher, Headteacher or Head of School – GC
  3. Special Educational Needs and Disabilities - LF
  4. Health & Safety - GC
  5. Finance and Resources – MP

 

Governors discussed whether to have a termly ‘Governors’ day’ or to continue with the arrangement of individual visits.  Given the difficulty of arranging time off from work for some it was agreed to continue with individual arrangements. GC undertook to adapt and populate the model Governors’ Action Plan.   
                                                                                                          ACTION: GC

  1.  

PAY COMMITTEE

Governors reviewed and agreed the Terms of Reference of the Local Pay Committee.  Membership for 2017-18 was agreed to be MP, GC and LF with KC as adviser.  A meeting was arranged for Thursday 12th October at 9am.

                                                                           ACTION: MP, GC, LF, KC & HE

  1.  

EXECUTIVE & LGC CHAIRS’ REPORTS & CORRESPONDENCE

There had been no emergency action and was no correspondence to report.

  1.  

 MINUTES OF THE LOCAL GOVERNING COMMITTEE OF 4th JULY 2017                                                           

The minutes of the LGC meeting of 4th July 2017 were agreed as an accurate record and signed by the Chair.

Q: Further to item 5 LF asked whether it would be of interest to arrange a meeting with the pastoral adviser from her school.

A: KC suggested that they might meet with Terri Beynon who held a similar role at Front Lawn.

  1.  

MINUTES OF TKAT SOUTH EXCOM  MEETING OF 17th JULY 2017

Governors received the draft minutes of the Executive Committee meeting of 17th July 2017.

GC reported that the presentations by Andrew Strong of Portfield regarding ‘Accountability, Collaboration and Trust’ and by James Munt on ‘Good to outstanding’ had been most interesting.

GC suggested that it would be useful to identify what it was that made Front Lawn special, perhaps ‘Talk for writing’ or staff development?  KC to develop for the next Executive Committee meeting.                                   ACTION: KC (HE)

  1.  

REPORT FROM TKAT SOUTH LGB 21ST SEPT 2017

GC reported that he had presented a summary of the development of TKAT South to date; now that the framework was in place the schools could again focus on core governance issues.

JM had presented a summary of the latest Ofsted changes and consultations.  Also, JM had explained that a joint leadership team meeting had been held at the end of the summer term and that this had led to the establishment of cross-school teams to work on five common issues attendance, EYFS, SEND achievement and staff well-being.   Also planned for 2017/18 were:

-  increased sharing of staff and enabling of coaching

- development of a ‘timetable of essentials’

- continued development of consistent document formats

- development of a TKAT South pedagogical model

GC explained that it was anticipated that the cross-school teams would develop strong personal relationships between the staff and that the expertise to be built into the pedagogical model was expected to be of significant benefit to pupils

  1.  

HEADTEACHER’S REPORT

KC presented her report, previously circulated, Attachment 1, and took questions arising.

Staffing

Q: Who supports NQTs?

A: Sarah Read and another teacher.

Q: How could the school afford extra teachers in years 5 and 6?

A: The Head of Upper School was on loan elsewhere, Sarah Walton worked 2 days per week at another school and, unexpectedly, the school had been given a grant of £40,000 because it had a split site.

Q: Were the graduate interns interested in becoming teachers?

A: Two had already left; the remaining one might be.

Milestones

KC distributed copies of the ‘Action Plan’, Attachment 2.

KC explained that Part 1 was blank, awaiting RAISE (now ASP, ‘Analysing Schools’ Performance) data.  Other actions were summarised in the ‘bubble diagrams, Part 2; there was an action plan behind each bubble.

Q: LF asked whether there was a leader for each action.

A: KC confirmed this.

Q: How often did they check progress against the milestones?

A: Weekly.

MP commented that Portfield were using a new app which might help with attendance.  KC said that some families did not have wifi at home so once their data allowances ran out they had no access to the internet.

CG and LF thanked KC for the Action Plan; this was accessible and exciting.

Q: MP asked whether governors were expected to be needed when Ofsted came in.

A: LF said yes.  For now governors should focus on the four areas allocated, i.e. safeguarding, SEND, H&S and F&R.  Once more governors were available they could perhaps have one attached to each key objective.

KC suggested that staff from each of the four areas could present to governors next term.                                                                                   ACTION:KC (HE)

KC highlighted that staff morale was felt to be low due to poor behaviour.  KC circulated copies of the ‘flyer’ and Behaviour Agreement sent to parents.  It was agreed to circulate the Behaviour Policy to governors.            ACTION: KC (HE)

Q: GC asked what was a ‘duvet day’.

A: These were a reward to individual staff for running after school clubs.

KC highlighted that the first residential school trip was planned.  GC observed that this required governor approval. It was agreed that KC would advise a summary of the arrangements and costings.                                    ACTION: KC

Governors were welcome to join the trip to the pantomime on Weds 20th December and to attend the Christmas production.  Details to be advised.

                                                                                                          ACTION: KC

Dashboard

KC distributed updated copies of the ‘Dashboard’, Attachment 3.

Exclusions

KC advised that two children accounted for all 5 days exclusions this term.

Predictions

The current prediction was that 55% of pupils would reach age related expectations (ARE) in reading, writing and maths, ‘combined’.  Several pupils already met ARE in two of the three, so the ‘combined’ prediction was expected to increase.

Q: GC asked whether progress scores were available.

A: KC said no, not at present.

Q: GC asked whether the school was given targets.

A: KC said no, they would put the predictions into Insight and then discuss them with Neil or Yasmin.

Q: GC asked how things were in Yr6.

A: They were quite well motivated.

Q: LF asked whether the new maths programme was having an impact.

A: SR said yes, the impact was coming up the school.  KC said that the challenge for Yr6 was retention of number facts; they were working to develop retention.

Q: LF asked whether the main challenge was number skills or problem solving.

A: It used to be problem solving; now it was more a question of balance.

Q: GC asked whether predictions would support a rating of ‘Outstanding’.

A: Only the ‘best case’ predictions.

GC thanked KC for her presentation.

  1.  

SAFEGUARDING

Governors noted receipt of the annual Hampshire Safeguarding Children Board (HSCB) audit report.  It was agreed that in future this would be brought to governors in the summer term.                                                 ACTION: KC (HE)

It was noted the GC and MP were to attend training at Portfield and it was agreed that AS would attend, too.  Other governors had been trained at Front Lawn or their own school.

HE advised that Hampshire training for governors was available at:

http://www.education.hants.gov.uk/intranet/governortraining/safeguarding/presentation_html5.html

 

  1.  

GOVERNORS’ IMPACT STATEMENT/ANNUAL REPORT 2016/17

GC asked that any further information about training and visits be provided to him as soon as possible; he would update the report and send this through to KC for the website.                                                                          ACTION: ALL

  1.  

POLICIES & REQUIRED DOCUMENTS

It was noted that all TKAT model policies and their in –year revisions were adopted at the TKAT South LGB meeting 21st September 2017.

KC advised that the behaviour and Exclusions policies should come to the next meeting for review and agreement.                                          ACTION: KC (HE)

  1.  

VISION, PRIORITIES & IMPROVEMENT PLAN 2017-18

Refer items 11 and 12.

  1.  

GOVERNORS’ ACTION PLAN 2017-18

LF proposed that each governor plan a monitoring visit this term.  Governors to liaise with KC.

Safeguarding                                                                                     ACTION: AS

SEND                                                                                                 ACTION: LF

H&S                                                                                                   ACTION:GC

F&R                                                                                                   ACTION: MP

  1.  

TRAINING & DEVELOPMENT

GC volunteered to check with Claire Lee of TKAT Governance regarding governors’ induction training.                                                            ACTION: GC

Safeguarding training refer 13 above.

 
  1.  

TKAT SOUTH MEETING SCHEDULE 2017-18

 

Pay Com 0900 Thursday 12th October                ACTION: MP, GC, LF, KC (HE)

 

LGC (F&R focus) Mon 13th Nov at 1300

LGC (C,T&L focus) Mon 22nd Jan at 1300

LGC (F&R focus) Mon 5th March at 1300

LGC (C,T&L focus) Mon 30th April at 1300

LGC (F&R focus) Mon 2nd July at 1300*

 

*It was noted that this will be too late to approve the budget for 2018/19 so authority to approve this was delegated to F&R focus governor Malcolm Porter.

 

Next Executive Committee meeting is to be held at  Front Lawn at 0930 on Tuesday 28th Nov

 

The meeting closed at 3pm

 

 

 

 

 

Signature:  ……………………………………………                                       Date:……………….

2 3 1 4 9 Visitors
Top