Menu
  • Google Search
  • Google Translate
Home Page

TKAT Coast Executive Committee September 2017

Minutes of a Meeting of the Local Governing Body of TKAT South
held at Portfield primary Academy Thursday 21st September 2017 at 9.30am

 

Present: Geoff Conway (Chair), Kate Couldwell, Colin Cross, Kirstie Hayler, Henry Lushington, James Munt (Executive Head) , Malcolm Porter, Neil Sherlock, Mel Strachan, Andrew Strong

Apologies: Kirsty Ballantyne, Barbara Batey, Jenny Buckley, Kim Carter, Kate Davies,
Lainey Franks, Lisa Gauntlett, Maureen Hensman,
 Mark Kyrillou, Judy Sharpe

In attendance: Helen Evison (Clerk)

The meeting opened at 9.40am

 

1

WELCOME & APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE 

• GC welcomed everyone to the full TKAT South LGB meeting.

• Apologies were received from those listed above. 

 

2

DECLARATION OF INTERESTS

• Those present returned Register of Interest forms to the Clerk

• Standing declarations: GC – TKAT employee and Chair at Bridgemary School, HE – clerks at other TKAT, HCC and SCC schools.

• There were no declarations of interest in specific agenda items

 

3

CONSTITUTION & MEMBERSHIP

• GC explained that the TAKT South LGB was the ‘highest level’ in the governance structure and proposed to continue using the current model as this had been in place for less than a year .

• GC requested that everyone submit any revisions to the membership list to the Clerk.

 

 

4

UNDERTAKING & CODE OF CONDUCT

GC highlighted the TKAT vision ‘Inspiring Learners, Changing Lives’.

Those present signed and retuned the Governor’s Undertaking, including the Code of Conduct, to the Clerk.

 

5

OPEN OR CLOSED MEETINGS

It was agreed to continue with closed meetings.  Visitors might attend by invitation.

Q: AS asked whether the same necessarily applied to the Local Governing Committees (LGC).

A: No, this was for each LGC to decide.

Governors agreed that it was important to get closer to parents and local communities.  It was hoped that improved websites and informal meetings, such as coffee mornings would help achieve this.

 

6

APPOINTMENTS FOR THE EDUCATIONAL YEAR  2016-17           

  1. Chair – Geoff Conway (TKAT appointee)
  2. Vice-Chair  - Maureen Hensman
  3. Looked After Children, Child Protection & Safeguarding – Colin Cross
  4. Governor responsible for liaison with LA in the event of an allegation (Child Protection) against Executive Headteacher  – Geoff Conway
  5. Special Educational Needs and Disabilities – Kirstie Hayler
  6. Health & Safety – Neil Sherlock
  7. Finance and Resources - Maureen Hensman
  8. Executive Headteacher’s Appraisal Review Panel - Geoff Conway

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7

MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING 28TH FEBRUARY 2017

The minutes of the meeting of 28th February 2017 were agreed as an accurate record and signed by the Chair.  Action items had been picked au at Executive or LGC meetings since February.

 

8

MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING OF THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

Governors received the draft minutes of the Executive Committee meeting of 17th July 2017.  GC highlighted:

- success of the Parents’ Facebook page at Front Lawn

- the ‘shared’ issues such as attendance and the desire to improve community contacts which had helped formulate JM’s proposals ( refer item 11)

- the need for websites to be fully compliant

- the focus on moving from ‘good’ to outstanding’.

GC requested that governors each provide 50-100 word ‘pen portraits’ and photos for use on ‘their’ school’s website.

Clerk’s note: Photos can be arranged on 18th October at Portfield as the school photographer will be in.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ALL

9

CHAIR’S ACTION, REPORT & CORRESPONDENCE

• There had been no emergency action

• There was no correspondence to report

• GC gave a presentation, Attachment 1, regarding TKAT South to date:

- the governance framework, not prefect but it worked; LGCs were strong and the Executive role developing

- agreed meeting schedule and agendas meeting TKAT’s governance requirements

- developing individual school action plans with ‘Governor days’

- annual reports and accountability statements

- common website structure to meet all DfE and TKAT requirements

and the direction of travel:

- embedding new systems and procedures

- developing a stable, experienced governance team

- focus back on governance ‘core functions’.

GC thanked governors for their time and efforts; these should result in better outcomes for the children.

Q: NS asked whether governors from one TKAT South school might also join those which were finding it harder to fill places.

A: JM explained that the key shortage was parent governors but that, yes, this was possible and could be helpful.

It was agreed that the clerk would contact those not present about this.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

HE

10

OFSTED UPDATE

• JM advised that experience with 1 day inspections of good schools had shown that it was difficult to find resources to extend the inspection if required.  A new consultation had been published proposing that Ofsted would carry out a risk assessment for each good school before any inspection; the outcome of this risk assessment would determine whether Ofsted planned a 1 or 2 day visit.  If the risk assessment was not good a 2 day visit would be planned. Schools would be told by telephone at the announcement of each inspection whether this was to be a 1 or 2 day one.

Q: AS asked what was planned for the step from ‘good’ to ‘outstanding’.

A: No change, i.e. a 1 day inspection would convert to a 2 day at short notice.

• JM advised that it was also proposed that if after 1 day a school was found to be no longer ‘good’ in some aspects the school would be allowed  to retain ‘good’ status for a year or more while they implemented changes.

Q: HL asked whether Ofsted would publish a ‘not quite good’ grading.

A: No, nothing would be published; only the school would know how long they had been given and when Ofsted were planned to return.

 

11

TKAT SOUTH VISION & IMPROVEMENT PLAN

JM explained that at the end of last year the three schools had had a joint leadership meeting at which they considered common areas for development.  This had resulted in a 5 point plan:

- shared areas of development, cross-school teams working on attendance, EYFS, SEND achievement and staff well-being,

-  increasing shared staff, enabling coaching

- development of ‘timetable of essentials’

- continued development of consistent document formats

- development of a TKAT South pedagogical model

Refer Attachment 2.

GC explained that it was anticipated that the cross-school teams would develop strong, personal relationships between the staff and that the expertise to be built into the pedagogical model was expected to be of significant benefit to pupils.

 

12

GOVERNORS’ IMPACT STATEMENTS 2016-17

GC reported that these had been drafted for each school individually and that they would be completed at LGC level for publication before the end of September if possible.

 

13

POLICIES & STATUTORY DOCUMENTS

It was agreed to adopt all TKAT model policies and their in-year revisions.

 

14

MEETING SCHEDULE 2017-18

T&L Focus LGC meetings
      Front Lawn 1300 on Monday 25th September

      Portfield 1000 on Tuesday 26th September           

      Seal 1300 on Tuesday 26th September                                    

F&R Focus LGC meetings – dates to be agreed w/c 30/10 or 6/11

Executive Committee  Front Lawn at 0930 on Tues 28th Nov

Next full TKAT South meeting date to be set summer 2018 for autumn 2018.

 

 

 The meeting closed at 11.10am
1 5 6 8 1 Visitors
Top